We are excited to announce the launch of Startup Appalachia, a pilot project of the Appalachia Funders Network. This initiative is designed to advance our Network goal to foster cross-sector investment partnerships that support the acceleration and growth of promising projects within the region.
Specifically, this pilot initative aims to (1) identify promising efforts that could produce larger results for the economic transition of Central Appalachia, (2) encourage direct organizing by foundations to fund around the most promising work in the region, (3) leverage additional resources to scale projects, and (4) offer funders insight on how to capitalize on the investments they have made to date.
The Startup Appalachia Committee consists of:
- Becky Ceperley, President and CEO of The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation
- Ray Daffner, Entrepreneurship Initiative Manager at the Appalachian Regional Commission
- Mary Hunt-Lieving, Senior Program Officer of the Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation
- Lisa Sharp, Rural Development Coordinator of USDA Rural Development of West Virginia
- Wayne Fawbush, Program Officer of the The Ford Foundation
The Startup Appalachia Committee has selected five projects to collaborate with as part of this initiative! Congratulations to:
Startup Appalachia Overview below.