Download this position description as a PDF.
The Appalachia Funders Network (AFN) is a rapidly evolving and maturing cross-sector funding network that supports our members to effectively contribute to the transformation of the Central Appalachian region. We prioritize equal access to the resources, systems and infrastructure essential to thriving Appalachian communities. Our members include private and family foundations, government agencies, banks, and community development entities. This role works with the AFN staff team, AFN current and prospective members, current and potential AFN supporters, the fiscal sponsor, and foundation, business and government stakeholders both within and outside of the region. For more information see https://www.appalachiafunders.org
Who We Are Looking For
You are a digital marketer with broad experience in smaller organizations who cares deeply about people in our community who are experiencing barriers to improved wellbeing and economic advancement. You bring the spirit of an advocate and campaigner to your work, are eager to roll up your sleeves, and aren’t afraid to think beyond the way things have ‘always been done’. You embrace the lifecycle of developing, testing, and refining using qualitative and quantitative data. You are committed to apply equity as both a process and an outcome. You should have strong communication and project management skills with prior experience leading digital communication or marketing efforts. You are also skilled in the “back-end” to ensure data integrity and systems’ stability and sustainability You should bring a passion for rural communities and demonstrate a commitment and ability to communicate impact. We seek a multifaceted, strategic, and resourceful professional – part racecar driver, part brainstormer, part systems strategist, and part data nerd. You embrace the opportunity to come into a small, ambitious organization and standup right-sized systems, platforms, messaging, and processes to fuel both national and local reach and engagement.
You will play a key role in fueling AFN’s online presence — by developing our digital strategies and building digital marketing operations that connect with supporters and communities to drive action. In collaboration with the Executive Director and partner vendors, you will help develop and implement data-driven strategies across the organization’s website, email, digital, SMS and social media channels to create effective ladders of engagement. You will harness digital metrics, A/B test results and other key performance indicators to recommend adjustments and optimize campaign performance. You will conduct research and use both primary and secondary data to inform and underpin AFN’s value proposition using compelling messaging and visualizations. You will also provide value and an excellent user experience to our communities and funders such as through virtual events, online payments, access to compelling content, or digital campaign participation. To best steward AFN’s resources, you will make thoughtful investment choices relating to the selection and configuration of applications and systems.
- Information systems management
- Lead the acquisition, development, implementation and optimization of any new content management, membership/CRM and/or event software in support of marketing that is appropriate to a smaller, growing nonprofit
- Evaluate different web cloud technologies and align those technologies (e.g., event management and ticketing, constituent relationship management, digital marketing, payment processing) to effectively support organizational strategies
- Ensure seamless user experiences; data, systems and operations integrity; and management controls, fiscal reconciliation and reporting
- Align work plans and system development cycles to accomplish strategies with regular reporting on goal progress and achievements
- Digital strategy
- Create, manage, and assess integrated messaging and content across all platforms in order to increase awareness and engagement among the target audiences and in support AFN’s mission
- Collaboratively establish content calendars and targeted audiences and test and refine tactics across digital channels
- Combine digital analytics and industry best practices to optimize performance of digital platforms
- Evolve baseline measurements for traffic and engagement as well as unique indicators for special programs and investments
- Drive improvements in content production and placement that can demonstrably help increase audience reach, engagement and impact
- Digital marketing and execution
- Implement day-to-day management of social and digital channels — creating or reusing high impact content and graphics -- that drive engagement and action
- Monitor and respond to social media, email and peer-to-peer text channels as needed
- Manage social media communities — including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Activate peer-to-peer fundraising to motivate supporters to maximize participation and fundraising in their communities and throughout their networks
- As needed, secure new content and edit appropriately for social and digital channels
- Make recommendations based on identifiable trends and digital analytics,
- Provide graphics and content for use in presentations to reach broad audiences and ensure accessibility, communicating results effectively by telling the story behind the data
- Structure and facilitate live social and digital events in support of greater engagement
- Assess social networks within and across communities to identify key actors and influencers, priority issue areas, and changes through time
- Maintain organizational records and file structures for compliance and ease of use
- Other related assignments as necessary
Skills and Experience of the Ideal Candidate
- Five or more (5+) years in:
- Digital marketing roles supporting philanthropy, non-profits, creative agencies, government entities, community-based organizations, advocacy initiatives, associations, or political campaigns
- Successfully leading the acquisition, development, implementation and optimization of any new content management, CRM and/or event software appropriate to a smaller growing nonprofit
- Ensuring seamless user experiences; data, systems and operations integrity; and management controls, fiscal reconciliation and reporting
- Creating content calendars to integrate messaging, events, and calls-to-action in support of organizational goals and strategies
- Aligning work plans and system development cycles to accomplish strategies with regular reporting on goal progress and achievements
- Managing social media communities — including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Peer-to-peer fundraising to motivate supporters to maximize participation and fundraising in their communities and throughout their networks
- Superior verbal, writing and editing skills, including a detail-oriented lens for grammar, content accuracy, messaging nuance, and data-driven visuals
- Translate complex concepts and data into communications that resonate with non-expert audiences including use of data visualization tools such as Tableau
- Ensure plain language usage, 508 accessibility practices, and compliance with fair use/copyright standards
- Take initiative to secure new content from communities, funders, and information outlets that can be amplified through AFN
- Considers multiple perspectives and world views of others from multiple cultures, backgrounds, and styles in creating content and campaigns
- SproutSocial, Hootsuite or other social media management tools
- Analyzing and optimizing digital campaign performance, including use of Google Analytics or Google Data Studio
- Website content management systems (e.g., Craft, WordPress, HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, Office 365, Google Analytics, Mailchimp, GivingData)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) tactics, including implementation of GoogleAds or GoogleGrants
- Research databases and tools like LexisNexis and comfort with navigating various government websites and other data sources
- Data visualization such as Tableau
- Event management systems such as Cvent
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) for small organizations in support of digital marketing
- Able and willing to travel occasionally within the region using own reliable personal vehicle for transportation
- Able and willing to occasionally work outside of normal business hours or on weekends.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Organizational level skills and experiences include:
- Managing and collaborating with internal teammates and external partners and consultants
- Disposition and willingness to innovate, problem solve, test, fail and adjust.
- Instilling rigor and accountability for own work and to support team goals using project management and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative in a quick-moving, ever-evolving environment
- Experience in modeling intercultural competence and demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and social justice.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, take initiative, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail meet deadlines, handle interruptions, and produce timely, accurate work
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to support others to build momentum and share success,
- Willingness to pitch in with administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings or taking notes
- Ability to thrive in a creative, responsive, and fast-paced culture and in the ambiguity of a startup
- Uses English language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations and to write on practical and professional topics.
Application Instructions and Process:
The Appalachia Funders Network is fiscally sponsored by the Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky, a nationally accredited community foundation located in Hazard, KY. The hire will participate in the Foundation’s excellent benefits package which includes a generous retirement plan with annual employer contribution, full vision and dental insurance, and health insurance with 100% of the premium covered by the employer. Support for a home office computer and cell phone will be provided.
This is a remote position located in the U.S. eastern time zone. Commensurate with experience and other relevant factors, the salary range for the role is $62,000 - $70,000. Priority will be given to those candidates currently residing full-time within an Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC)-designated county within West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, or North Carolina. Exceptional candidates located geographically near the region with recent (within the last 3 years) substantive work experience in one of the ARC-designated counties may also be considered. For ARC counties please reference: https://www.arc.gov/appalachian-counties-served-by-arc/
Must be able to pass a Kentucky and national criminal history check.
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. To be considered, please send a cover letter, resume, and three relevant project samples (e.g., social media campaign plans/analyses, strategic systems roadmaps, social media user design plans, dashboards and project plans) to [email protected] and include “Digital Engagement and Analytics Manager” in the subject line. Position is open until filled; priority consideration will be given to applications received by February 7, 2022. First round interviews will be conducted via Zoom with the possibility of additional interviews in person. The anticipated start date is no later than April 1, 2022. We are unable to respond to telephone inquiries about this position and will not accept candidates through the services of a search firm.
The Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer that values an inclusive and multicultural working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran's status, or any other legally protected status.