Download this position description as a PDF.
The Appalachia Funders Network (AFN) is a rapidly evolving and maturing cross-sector funding network that supports our members to effectively contribute to the transformation of the Central Appalachian region. We prioritize equal access to the resources, systems and infrastructure essential to thriving Appalachian communities. Our members include private and family foundations, government agencies, banks, and community development entities. This role works with the AFN staff team, AFN current and prospective members, current and potential AFN supporters, the fiscal sponsor, and other stakeholders both within and outside of the region. For more information see https://www.appalachiafunders.org
The duties of this position include but are not limited to:
Membership Coordination and Tracking (30%)
- Ensure that the annual membership program activities achieve timeline, financial and educational goals
- Ensure that member payment transactions and other activities are documented accurately and completely (including renewals and acquisition, meeting registrations, and information requests) in the database
- Prepare program and speaker materials including programmatic descriptions, runs of show, and slide decks
- Coordinate with fiscal sponsor to ensure that payments received are supported with correct documentation and comply with established management controls
- Track and support member program data collection and reporting
- Create, issue and analyze member surveys
- Support, as needed, writing and posting programmatic social media and web site content
Funder Research and Engagement (30%)
- Research potential and existing funders’ grant application requirements to support AFN
- Maintain a submissions calendar including for applications and reporting
- Assist in drafting and editing requests for funding including creating infographics and data summaries
- Capture engagement plans and follow-up actions to track towards deeper involvement with funders at the national, state and local levels using basic CRM approaches
- Research opportunities to share AFN network expertise at conferences and philanthropic events
- Provide proofreading and editing for presentations, applications, and other communications
- Ensure all communications are written in a style appropriate for the audience, whether technical or public
- Ensure 508 compliance across all materials to promote accessibility
- As requested, coordinate with other staff and vendors on outreach and communications to the membership and wider ecosystem around programs and events
- Research programs, relevant member news, and civic engagement resources to share with the network and support digital/social media efforts
- Support, as needed, on writing content and posting programmatic social media and web site content
Program, Meeting and Event Support (25%)
- Schedule and calendaring for various meetings, facilitated discussions, and workshops
- Staff programs, briefings, and events, providing note taking, and proactively follows up on action items
- Uniformly format agenda, meeting materials, and grant applications
- Effectively use tools, formats and processes to track timelines, owners, and deliverables
- Maintain an organized and uniform Google Drive, Office 365 or other file storage and sharing
- Set up timelines, plans and systems for successful execution of the annual convening and regular programs
- Provide expert Zoom virtual meeting management and troubleshooting to ensure productive discussions
- Contribute towards online interactive engagement efforts such as developing and setting up online polls and researching engagement tools and options
- Conduct post-program follow up and sharing of program materials
- Lead programmatic coordination for aspects of AFN’s annual convening and other programs and events.
- Manage incoming email, communications and calendaring
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines while maintaining excellent attention to detail in a fast‐paced environment, with high standards of excellence
- Hands-on experience working in a fundraising, membership, events, and volunteer-driven environment
- Strong skills in administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings, taking meeting notes, drafting meeting agendas, writing and sending emails, answering phones, and integrating the flow of various projects and groups.
- A minimum of 3 year’s direct experience that demonstrated ability to:
- Administer multiple projects, programs, tasks and deliverables to product quality results
- Pace work to deadlines, ability to handle interruptions, and produce timely, accurate work.
- Write, edit and format materials for a variety of audiences including business professionals, foundations, policymakers, and the general public and apply accessibility standards (508)
- Create graphs and infographics to convey concepts or analyses
- Plan and execute large online and in person discussions or events with excellent results
- Apply project management processes and tools such as Asana for own and group work
- High proficiency with Zoom, Cvent, or other online meeting platforms
- Administer and use Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs), Zoom, Doodle polls, and Microsoft platforms
- Proficiency with WordPress, MailChimp, Survey Monkey or similar tools
- Use membership and/or CRM databases for renewals/acquisition, payments, events and reporting
- Comfort using basic functionality to post online or social media content
- Adhere to required data privacy and fiscal controls
- Able and willing to travel occasionally, using own reliable vehicle, based on public safety guidelines
- Ability to occasionally work outside of normal business hours or on weekends
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Organizational level skills and experience include:
- Possesses a positive attitude and outstanding interpersonal skills including listening effectively
- Takes initiative in a quick-moving, ever-evolving environment and excellent time management skills
- Works independently, is highly collaborative, and has a high degree of emotional intelligence to work with a remote team and external stakeholders
- Maintains a calm demeanor in situations that may be challenging or ambiguous
- Models commitment to equity, inclusion and social justice.
- Demonstrates ability to think strategically, take initiative, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Uses English language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations and to write on practical and professional topics.
- A plus to your candidacy is 2‐3 years of directly relevant professional paid or volunteer experience in service of communities (for example, nonprofit program management, neighborhood organizing, events leadership, or social work)
The Appalachia Funders Network is fiscally sponsored by the Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky, a nationally accredited community foundation located in Hazard, KY. The hire will participate in the Foundation’s excellent benefits package which includes a generous retirement plan with annual employer contribution, full vision and dental insurance, and health insurance with 100% of the premium covered by the employer.
Commensurate with experience and other relevant factors, the salary range for the role is $47,500 ‐ $54,500. The successful candidate must currently be a full-time resident of an Appalachian Regional Commission-designated county within West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky or North Carolina. https://www.arc.gov/appalachian-counties-served-by-arc/
This is a remote position and support for a home office computer and cell phone will be provided. Must be able to pass a Kentucky and national criminal history check.
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. To be considered, please send a cover letter, resume, and two relevant professional writing samples to [email protected] and include “Membership and Grants Administrator” in the subject line. Position is open until filled; priority consideration will be given to applications received by February 7, 2022. First round interviews will be conducted via Zoom with the possibility of additional interviews occurring in person. The anticipated start date is no later than April 1, 2022. We are unable to respond to telephone inquiries about this position and will not accept candidates through the services of a search firm.
FAKY is an equal opportunity employer that values an inclusive and multicultural working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran's status, or any other legally protected status.